Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Assault on Reason

Former Vice President Al Gore has a new book out titled "The Assault on Reason" I've just ordered the book, so this post won't be much of a review. If that's what you are looking for, check out this review at the NYTimes.

As I understand, the books asserts the Bush Administration, with its secret ways and little desire to take into account expert opinion on policy debates, has done away with reason and replaced it with a system that only accounts for the facts that already support its preconceived notions. I look forward to reading to book to draw my own conclusions.

I would also add that as a nation, we have had an ongoing assault on reason, from both the left and the right, for sometime now. What is that, you ask? Simply put, the politically correct left and father knows best right have dedicated a great deal of effort to shape what children read on schools. For more on that, you can read Diane Ravitch's book The Language Police.

My ultimate point is this: perhaps this is more pervasive at all levels in our nation, not just government. How often do we succumb to preconceived ideals and ignore reason? In our quest to shape the world the way we think it ought to be, where do we draw the line? As usual, I have more questions than answers.

1 comment:

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.